The GREATEST day ever!

Saturday, January 17th, 2015 was the GREATEST DAY OF MY LIFE! Matt asked me to be his WIFE!!!!

It all started around 9:00am that morning…I had planned to go to my tennis lesson at noon that day. Matt asked me if I wanted to come work out at the gym in his apartment building before my lesson. A few of these things sounded odd to me…1) why would I want to work out…especially on the weekend? 2) Why was Matt awake so early on Saturday?  I didn’t put too much thought behind it and begrudgingly said “yes” since I knew I would soon have to be in a bathing suit for our upcoming Mexico trip.

When I arrived at Matt’s building, he told me to come up to his apartment. He still needed to get changed for the gym. While he was doing that, I was going on and on about shoe polish of all things! In typical Matt fashion, he was taking his sweet time getting out the door. I finally asked “are you ready??” because time was ticking and we weren’t going to have much time to work out if I still planned to get to tennis. Looking back on it now, my question of “are you ready” was very symbolic. Matt said that when I asked him that, he was thinking in his head. “oh, you have no idea!”. We left Matt’s apartment to walk down to the gym and were down the hallway when he realized he forgot to grab a water bottle. He ran back inside to get it. Next thing I knew, he was calling my name from inside the apartment. I thought to myself “what in the world does he need my help for?”.  I opened the door and when I did, I saw him down on one knee with an open ring box. I instantly started crying and so did he. He could barely get his words out and I was already sobbing. I ran over to him and hugged him for at least two straight minutes. After telling me some of the sweetest things I’d ever heard, he asked me if I would marry him and I proclaimed YES! He finally said, “WELL! Do you want to see the ring??”.  I was so caught up in moment I didn’t even remember the ring I had been so concerned about. We were both shaking so bad that getting the ring on my finger took some work.

IMG_0047 (1)

The ring is the most perfect thing I have ever seen. The most special part about it is that Matt designed it himself. What started as a sketch on a scrap piece of paper turned into the most elegant, classy, and “perfectly me” ring. Just knowing that he put so much love, research and effort to make it perfect for me makes it my most prized possession.

We were still in shock, but couldn’t contain our happiness. We immediately called and FaceTime’d all of our family members and our grandparents. We were both in tears and could not stop shaking with excitement.  Matt then told me that his parents were on their way to Charlotte from Florida and that my parents would be coming over later as well.  He had planned a fun afternoon for just the two of us to enjoy before everything got crazy. We first went to Common Market to get some champagne. This was our first date spot. Next we went to Blackfinn, where we met. We sat in the exact same seats and ordered the same drinks we had almost three years ago. We told pretty much everyone who would listen that we just got engaged. We were so happy it was hard to contain it.

After our afternoon together, we went back to Matt’s apartment where is mom and dad were preparing a feast. His mom had made all of his favorite foods, brought roses and put pictures of us up around the apartment. My parents got there around 5pm and we were all enjoying the celebration. At one point, my dad said, “I wish Whitney and Bob could have been here”, and POOF! Out they came from Matt’s bedroom. It was the second most shocking moment of the day! Matt had called my parents and sister the day before to ask their permission. As soon as my sister found out, she booked flights from Chicago for her and Bob. No one knew they were coming, not even my parents. When I had Facetime’d them earlier in the morning, they said they were at “brunch”. But they were really at a restaurant in the Charlotte airport! We ended up staying at Matt’s house until almost midnight playing games and celebrating the big news.

 photo (21)


I must have woken up at least ten times throughout the night to check my nightstand to make sure my ring was still there and that it wasn’t all a dream.

The next day was Matt’s moms birthday. Bless her for sharing her day with us! We all met up at Vivace for brunch and mimosas. Coincidentally, Vivace was where our second date (or first if you ask Matt) took place. It was a great celebration and there were many tears when we said our goodbyes to them. Words cannot describe how much it meant to me that they made the trip to NC to share in this special time with us.

To say we are on Cloud 9 would be an understatement. A week and a half later I still feel like I am beaming. I never knew a happiness like that existed. Of course I knew I always wanted to spend the rest of my life with MRH; but something about it feels so different now that I know I will be. Knowing that when we’re 85 and old, he will still be by my side makes me the happiest girl in the world. Our family and friends have made this special time in our lives unforgettable. I can’t count the amount of times we’ve both said how lucky we are. It’s so amazing the support and love that we feel.

When I was 11 years old I attended a Christian summer camp called Doe River Gorge. It was there that the idea of “praying for your future husband” was introduced. I had never thought about that concept before. But over the last 16 years I would get giddy thinking about it. I remember lying in bed at night as a middle-schooler wondering who he was, or where he was, or what he was doing. I always trusted that God was working behind the scenes to make my perfect match and that he would bring him into my life at the exact right moment. All of my dreams and all of my prayers became a reality on January 17th when Matt asked me to be his forever. The love we share is effortless and I’m so thankful God’s plan was immeasurably more than I could have ever dreamed. Without a doubt, I am the luckiest!

And in case you’re wondering how I felt when I woke up the next morning…


One thought on “The GREATEST day ever!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s